Today was my 2nd experience with an unconference. BarCampCLT allowed people to bring topics to the people, and through a voting process organized the sessions. If you are a very structured individual, you might have issues with this conference format. However, I had the opportunity to sit on the following presentations. Here are some major points to share with you.
- This tool is considered as an information buffet; Only take what you need!
- tweetdeck was overwhelmingly the apparent the choice of twitter client
- Be weary of the disruptive elements if you use twitter under your brand – People are known to falsely retweet
- XO2 is not under development yet – still considered as an artists rendering
- OLPC discovered that $$ was not an issue for customers
- Recommended reading: End of Poverty (Jeffrey Sachs) & Innovator’s Dilemma (Clayton M. Christensen)
- Before OLPC, there was NO netbook market
- Strength: Cannot beat it’s rugged design & run on very little power
- Weakness: Networking aspect – Not stable when networking 20-30 XOs; glitch discovered at a conference
- SW developers & educators are in demand with project; Have you tried XO’s GUI? Get Sugar today!
- You should have been here!
4. LinkedIn & Facebook
- What is your brand?
- Discussed usage of FB & LinkedIn
- FB limits you to only 5000 friends; fan page is unlimited
- In conclusion: Who you are=FB What you do=LinkedIn
5. Resume Killers
- Resume should go no farther than 10 years back
- Know your niche
- +1 versions of resume; customize for market
- If still employed, you can post anonymously to job search sites and should ask for at least 10% increase
- Viral videos are NOT dead
- Best quality ranking (per W. Sutton) then use tubemogul or heyspread to push content!
- Examplar of a great videocast: epicfu.com
- Referenced for mobilecasting: 12seconds.tv & seesmic.com
Look for audio from the above sessions later over here.